Translate

Friday 20 January 2017

My Dearest Darling,

That partridge, in that lovely little pear tree!  What an enchanting, romantic, poetic present!
Bless you and thank you.
Your deeply, loving Emily

12 Days of Christmas (Correspondence) - John Julius Norwich



I completed the First Day of Christmas from the 12 Days of Christmas by Joan Elliott.  I started the borders on 12th December 2016 and I stitched on it every day for the 12 Days of Christmas as part of a Challenge on the Stitch Maynia FB page.  Since then I have been focused on finishing the Partridge for this month.  I did have a little break to fit in my Hallowe'en stitching though.

The plan is to stitch the borders each evening when my son is in the bath and return to Block 2 in February.  You can see where I stitched each block for a decreasing number of days for the challenge!  Block 12 only got stitched on the final 12th Day whereas Block 2 got stitched on every day from the 2nd onwards.

stitched on 32 count white evenweave

I showed the first Hallowe'en design in my GG post and here is the second Hallowe'en design for the year:

stitched on 32 count Lime Green Murano

It's the Moon which forms the O in Hallowe'en for the design Happy Hallowe'en from Imaginating.  That fabric is so much more lime green in real life!

Having finished my SAL stitching for the month I decided to start a little small which I've had for ages.  Antique Christmas Trees by JBW.  This was a gift or giveaway prize from someone at some point.  I know I didn't buy it myself but it got separated from the card which came with it and filed in with Random Charts.


I'm stitching it over one on a scrap of 32 count linen which was tucked in with the chart.  I'm using the DMC conversion.  The suggestion for the border is very pink and not at all like the picture so I decided to make the alphabet darker pink instead of the barely visible white.  I think the idea is that the white is the snow under the tree but it wouldn't show on my white fabric.   I might stitch this again, over 2 on a blue or grey fabric using the white.  It's a nice quick design anyway, that is just 2 afternoon's stitching there.

I have been continuing with my 10 Stitches a Day project which is Just Nan's Spring in the Square.  Here is a collage of the 20 days so far:


You can really see how the piece grows each day.  Some people have said that they would find it difficult to stop after just ten stitches.  That's where my personal challenge comes into it - seeing how early can I get my photo posted!  Every day I try get it posted earlier than the day before. Or not!

Finally, we have the Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop coming on Valentine's Day.  If you would like to take part, all you have to do is send me a photo of something you have stitched which is suitable for a stitching friend.  It could be a heart, or a pair of cute creatures, or the word "love" or anything which warms your heart.  Really anything you think a fellow stitcher would like to receive in her email Inbox.  I will then email you a photo to post on your blog on Valentine's Day.  Everyone then hops around trying to find out where their photo went and who is the Secret Sweetheart!

Just for inspiration, here are some freebie heart designs from around the internet.  Most of these could be stitched in a week so plenty of time for the Hop.





26 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

Beautiful stitching update on the 12 days of Christmas. This is going to be a spectacular piece when finished :)

D1-D2 said...

I don't think I can stop at 10 stitches. I like working in sections. They're usually small and once it's done I assess if I have time to go to the next one.

Katie said...

Fantastic partridge finished block. Love the cute moon O too. Great new start and your ten-a-day is looking fantastic. I wouldn't be able to stop at 10 either.

Linda said...

Congrats on finishing the beautiful partridge Jo. Does that chart have alot of quarter stitches? Love your new start and nice progress.

Linda

Kerryp77 said...

The Just Nan piece looks amazing seeing it grow like that. Love the little Christmas trees too and 12 days partridge is lovely.

Vickie said...

Antique Christmas Trees is adorable!

deb said...

Love the partridge - he's fantastic! Your 10 stitches a day project collage is sort of a time-lapse thing, very cool - what fun to watch it grow.

Barb said...

Your Partridge in a Pear Tree is beautiful!

Bea said...

Very pretty new small. And it's amazing how 10 stitches a day is adding up. It's nice to see the daily progress. Love the little moon.

Brigitte said...

Oh great, you have already completely finished Day 1 of your 12 Days project.
And you are right, in your collage one can easily see how these ten stitches a day sum up and get more and more. Nice to follow the project's growth.
Thanks for all the links to the heart freebies.

jocondine said...

Nice partridge in a pear tree design, 12 days of Xmas appears very popular on blogs and give so many lovely stitching patterns. It's already on my list.xxx

Kaisievic said...

Jo, that is such a very pretty Partridge, one of the prettiest around, I think. Great progress on your 10 a day, I am still faithfully stitching it but I have fallen behind on posting on FB - I keep meaning to update my album in the group but every day seems to be as busy as here. Great idea re the collage - I plan to do that at the end of the month. Sweet JBW design, too.

gominam said...

12 Days is going to be gorgeous!Just seeing that Partridge and all the backstitch, stunning. Great going with your WIPs too. Thank you for sharing the freebie links, will check them out.

Mini said...

The details in Patridge are amazing. The whole project is coming along nicely. Antique Christmas Trees looks so tiny. Amazing how much can you achieve with 10 stitches a day.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Your Partridge is beautiful!

Desiree Ehleiter said...

12 Days is wonderful!!! And I love how you are working it... So much fun. Thank you so much for all those freebie links.. I think. Ha, ha.

Julie said...

The first block looks wonderful on 12 Days.
JBW designs are always so lovely, I like your version with the red alphabet.

Justine said...

I love the cute partridge and those antique trees are gorgeous. I couldn't do just 10 stitches a day...but you're going to be able to make an amazing time-lapse style film at the end of the year!

Tiffstitch said...

Great finish on the partridge and progress on the rest, plus all your other projects! Thanks for all the links. I have to check my photos, because I don't know if I have another heart or love pattern stitched and I'm not sure I'll get one done in time.

Stitching Noni said...

Love your Partridge in a Pear Tree. Gorgeous new start (which I have now seen all finished!)
Thanks for the links to the freebies - I think I will need to stitch a new heart/love design just for the hop this year...
Your 10 A Day project is looking really good :o)
Hugs xx

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress on the 12 days - the borders are coming along nicely, and the Partridge is a lovely partial finish for this month. I also like the 10 stitches challenge, it really does show some progress each day!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Congrats on finishing the Partridge! It looks wonderful. Lovely stitching progress on all your other projects too. I love Antique Christmas Trees, it's so cute! :D

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

The partridge is lovely; such detail. The collage of your JN stitching is great in demonstrating how much progress you are making on 10 stitches a day.

The Crafty Princess said...

Love your sweet lil Partridge. The 12 days is coming along and it already looks incredible. I fear I would fail on the 10 stitches minimum. I have no restraint for new starts and if I'm enjoying a stitch I fear I would fail to stop too. But you are made of much sterner stuff than me.
xo Alicia

Christine said...

The partridge is lovely.
I would not have the will power either to make myself stitch 10 stitches a day on something or to make myself stop after 10 stitches!

Heather said...

Beautiful projects :) I love how 12 Days is shaping up